By Rita Iliya
Bello, in a statement by his chief press secretary, Mrs. Mary Noel-Berje, in Minna on Friday assured the communities of Bassa, Zumba and others in the local government areas of Shiroro and Munya besieged by bandits that the bases of the joint military task force in the region was deserted.
He allayed fears that the task force’s camps would be deserted and that security agents were leaving communities after the recent invasion of Allawa military base in which six soldiers and a roving policeman were killed.
Bello regretted the deadly attack and murder of the security guards and urged communities not to be worried but to remain calm as the security guards stepped back to change their strategy and did not completely abandon them.
“The military evacuated the corpses of the valiant officers who died in face-off with the bandits and withdrew for a while to rethink their strategy. They have not left or abandoned the communities, ”he said.
He said growing banditry and kidnappings in parts of the state call for constant restructuring, stressing that the government and security agencies have remained steadfast and will ensure that criminals are eliminated.
The governor has shown compassion to the Nigerian military, police and communities affected by the bandit’s activities for the deaths of the six security guards and all those killed in the region so far.
The Nigerian News Agency (NAN) reports that bandits, numbering around 200, attacked a military base, killing six soldiers and a roving policeman on March 31 in the local government area of Shiroro.
The bandits also burned down the base before settling in communities where they also killed seven people and abducted several more.