The State Commissioner of Health, Ibrahim Tsanyawa, told Channels Television that the index case of the disease drank from a borehole near a cemetery within the state capital.
“I can confirm to you that so far, four persons have died while some 284 have been affected in 10 local government areas of the state,” Tsanyawa said.
He also confirmed that investigation has shown that other people that came up with similar symptoms consumed juice prepared with instant flavoured drink powder.
According to the Commissioner, the illness is with “a barrage of symptoms including fever, yellowish discolouration of the eyes, haematuria, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, headache, body aches, general body weakness, dizziness which may likely require a blood transfusion.”
Meanwhile, the Ministry said that the samples of water, blood and the different instant drink powder have been taken for tests in order to pin down a diagnosis ranging from food-borne illness, food poisoning-Lassa fever, yellow fever, dengue fever, chemical poisoning, toxic hepatitis among others.
“So far, the results have proven negative for Lassa and Yellow fever as well as non-reactive for hepatitis but the results for heavy metals and leptospirosis was still being awaited along with findings of the national agency of food and drug administration (NAFDAC) on samples of the instant drink and powders,” the Commissioner said.
He added that the ministry, in collaboration with other relevant authorities, has since commenced on the spot checks and supervisions of expired assorted foods and drinks across major markets and distribution points in the state.