Five injured in Myanmar anti-coup protest shooting


A police raid on a shipyard in Myanmar’s second-largest city turned violent Saturday when authorities fired rubber bullets at protesters gathering to stop arrests, according to AFP reporters on the ground.

Five people were injured with rubber-bullet wounds, a photographer at the scene reported.

Much of the country has been in uproar since the military deposed civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi in a coup on February 1, with hundreds of thousands of demonstrators taking to the streets to protest against the junta.

Authorities have arrested hundreds of people since the putsch, many of them civil servants who had been boycotting work as part of a civil disobedience campaign.

See also  We lost an officer in Delta bullion van attack – Police

READ ALSO: EFCC: Lawyer sues Senate, asks court to stop Bawa’s confirmation

On Saturday, hundreds of police gathered at Yadanarbon shipyard in Mandalay, on the Irrawaddy River.

Their presence sparked fears among nearby residents that authorities would try to arrest workers for taking part in the anti-coup movement.

Banging pots and pans in what has become a signature gesture of defiance, protesters started yelling at the police to leave.

READ ALSO: Give us state police, resource control now, El-Rufai tells FG

But police opened fire with rubber bullets and slingshot balls, dispersing the alarmed protesters and leaving at least five injured.

See also  Foundation empowers 1,000 widows in Osun

One woman received a head wound and emergency workers quickly administered first aid to her.

“Shooting is still ongoing. Some people are injured,” the city’s rescue service chairman told AFP.

A Facebook video streamed live by a resident on the scene appeared to carry non-stop sounds of gunshots.

“They are shooting cruelly,” said the resident, who appeared to be taking shelter on a nearby construction site.

See also  WHO disqualifies Nigeria, eight others from global vaccine bid

“We have to find a safer place.”

An AFP reporter on the ground heard multiple gunshots.

READ ALSO: Kagara abduction: FG won’t pay ransom, says Lai Mohammed

Since the nationwide protests started two weeks ago, authorities in some cities have deployed tear gas, water cannon and rubber bullets against demonstrators.

There have been isolated incidents of live rounds in the capital Naypyidaw.

An anti-coup protester who was shot in the head during a February 9 demonstration in Naypyidaw died on Friday.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply